Customer Service Manager
South Tahoe Public Utility District is seeking a Customer Service Manager who plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates the Customer Service Department. The ideal Candidate will have relevant customer service experience that encompasses billing and collections and enforcement of codes. Required to issues water/sewer permits, approve residential and commercial plans and/or new & existing connections. Requires 3 years supervisory experience and a bachelor's degree is preferred. Salary $9,666-$12,337/month. DOQ Position closes May 15, 2022 at 11:59 pm.
Under the general direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Customer Service Manager plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates the Customer Service Department, including customer relations, enforcing and maintaining the District’s Administrative Code, utility service charge billings and collections, the metering program, issuing sewer and water permits, supervising inspection of new or existing connections, reviews and approves residential and commercial plans, enforces the Uniform Plumbing Code, and manages District’s liability claims.
1. Provides leadership and works with staff to ensure a customer-service oriented work environment that supports achieving the department's and District's mission, plans, objectives, and values.
2. Provides direction and supervision to the Customer Service Supervisor, who is primarily responsible for the utility billing system, the Customer Services Specialist, who is primarily responsible for customer service and metering and the Inspections Supervisor, who is primarily responsible for commercial and residential sewer and water connection inspections.
3. Explains the District's programs, ordinances, policies, and procedures to the public, in person and/or using written informational materials and the District's website.
4. Recruits, selects schedules, trains, supervises, evaluates, disciplines, develops, and promotes team-work among support personnel.
5. Interprets, enforces, and maintains the District’s Administrative Code, and updates all District ordinances.
6. Administers the sewer, water, collections and reporting.
7. Directs and ensures the timely response to customers' inquiries and complaints.
8. Manages liability insurance claims relating to sewer back-ups and other customer related liability claims.
9. Oversees water/sewer construction plan review for residential and commercial projects.
10. Oversees District’s water metering program including the Automated Meter Infrastructure (AMI) programs per utility requirements. Coordinates with other departments to provide AMI information and otherwise assist in the implementation of various water conservation programs.
11. Oversees District inspections of water and sewer lateral construction and connection and the execution of the water cross-connection control, pre-treatment and grease management programs.
12. Prepares and monitors the Customer Service Department budget.
13. Cooperates with other departments, utilities, agencies, and District legal counsel.
14. Prepares and delivers presentations at the Board of Directors' meetings and workshops.
15. Adheres to and enforces stated safety policies and procedures.
Education & Experience Requirements
1. High school graduate or equivalent is required.
2. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in Business, Finance, Public Administration, or a related field is highly preferred.
1. Requires five (5) years increasingly responsible experience in customer service or related field for candidates possessing a Bachelor's degree, or (8) eight years increasingly responsible experience in customer service or related field for candidates not possessing a Bachelor's degree.
2. Three (3) years supervisory experience is required.
3. Requires experience with a computerized billing system, and accounts receivable collections; working knowledge of personal computers as well as modern office practices and methods.
4. Experience managing or supervising a public agency utility department and knowledge or experience with building department functions is preferred.
5. Experience delivering presentations in a public setting is preferred.
1. Requires the ability to effectively resolve complex customer service complaints and problems, including the ability to professionally interact with difficult customers.
2. Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, and oral presentation skills.
3. Requires the ability to analyze, evaluate, interpret, and utilize technical and administrative reports.
4. Requires the ability to use computer systems, software applications, and specialized software programs.
5. Knowledge of water distribution and sewage collection systems is preferred.
6. Knowledge of public utility billing department and building inspection department functions is preferred.
7. Ability to read and use digital and physical blueprints, grid sheets, as-builts, plans, and profiles is preferred.
8. Knowledge of generally accepted utility rate-making principles is preferred.
9. Knowledge of liability claims handling is preferred.
10. Must have a valid drivers' license, acceptable by the State of California, with a driving record which enables insurability.
11. Requires ability to recruit, train, instruct, supervise, evaluate, motivate, appropriately discipline, and develop staff.
12. Requires the ability to maintain cooperative relationships with customers, public agency representatives, co-workers, and supervisors.
13. Current, valid CPR and First Aid certificates are desired or ability to obtain with 2 years of hire date.
1. Responsible for overseeing the operation of the Customer Service Department.