Food Service Worker
Food Service Worker - NUHS $14.65-$21.16/hour depending on experience, plus degree stipend if applicable, start ASAP, 3.75 hours/day (9:30 am- 1:15 pm), 9 months/year, sick & vacation leave.
Participates in the preparation and serving of hot and cold food items appropriate to the needs of the students and staff.
UNDER SUPERVISION OF:
Director of Nutrition Services/Designee
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Act as cashier. Operate point of sale equipment and software.
2. Assumes responsibility for preparation of foods.
3. Assumes responsibility for quality and quantity of food to be prepared as directed.
4. Maintains high standard of sanitation and safety in work area and in preparation of food. Provides supervisor with daily record of cold and hot food temperatures taken during preparation and holding times to ensure safety and quality of food prepared.
5. Participates on daily and emergency basis in the preparation, cooking and serving of food.
6. Assures that foods are prepared and cooked following standardized menus and recipes.
7. Utilizes portion control to aid in food cost procedures.
8. Initiates request for food, supplies and/or equipment needed as well as needed replacement or maintenance of equipment used.
9. Works harmoniously with school personnel, parents, student, and others who may require service from the work area.
10. Assists with inventory. Provides supervisor with daily record of ingredients and supplies used to aid in inventory control.
11. Verify beginning and ending cash daily.
12. Perform daily and as needed special cleaning work area, using safety and sanitation techniques.
13. Attend workshop, conference and training classes requested and approved by supervisor to improve knowledge and skill level.
14. Other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent. Previous food service experience preferred.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
General knowledge of first aid and CPR. Knowledge of: principles and methods of preparing food in large quantities according to appropriate sanitation and safety procedures; the use and care of large kitchen equipment; principals and techniques of working within a team work environment; basic food preparation and cooking skills; basic math. Ability to utilize point of service sale equipment and software. Cash handling experience. Ability to work within the group on individual projects.
Understand oral and written instruction.
Read and write at a high school level.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The employee must be able to:
Lift and/or move up to 50 pounds such as cases of food items or kitchen equipment.
Push or pull items such as kitchen carts and equipment.
Interact with other staff members.
Climb a step stool or ladder and reach above shoulders.
Ability to frequently stand and walk; bend, stoop, squat, kneel and reach overhead.
Reach above the head and reach forward.
Stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, equipment, or controls; use hand strength to grasp items; and to talk and hear.
Frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works indoors in office and school environments and will occasionally work outdoors. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.