Health Services Specialist Temporary
NUHS Health Services Specialist Temporary
Full Time $16.32-$22.99/hour depends on experience, plus degree stipend, benefits, leave, PERS, start ASAP
Performs health services for all students and supportive clerical services. Works within the framework of school law, district policy and medical ethics.
UNDER SUPERVISION OF:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
1. Responsible for the operation of the health office.
2. Implements district policy regarding administration of medicines at school.
3. Performs general first aid, logs students who come in for health services; conducts preliminary evaluation of all ill students. Refers to parent or administrator as appropriate. Arranges for disposition of students to home or emergency facility as directed.
4. Assists school nurse with trainings.
5. Maintains supplies, files and health cards for students. Assists with state mandated health related services.
6. Assists severely handicapped students on an emergency basis.
7. Liaison for home hospital program.
8. Trained to assist in toileting physically handicapped students.
9. Assists with testing and health related reporting.
10. May issue school lockers and assist with related problems. May issue and update all student and staff parking permits.
11. May share receptionist duties during lunch and as back up at all other times.
12. Supports assigned personnel for the purpose of providing clerical and secretarial assistance.
13. Must be able to meet and interact with employees and parents/guardians in routine situations, which require tact, discretion, and courtesy.
14. Schedules TB test appointments, handles paperwork, and notifies District Office of results.
15. Maintains copies of all school incident reports.
16. Performs specialized health care procedures for specific students.
17. Maintains supplies, health cards and files on students.
18. Maintains sanitary and attractive health office environment.
19. Verifies immunization status of all new students and inputs into student information system.
20. Other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of relevant secretarial experience, preferably in a school environment.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
Must possess a valid First Aid Card and CPR Certificate. Valid California drivers’ license and evidence of insurance, access to an automobile, TB, and criminal justice fingerprint clearance.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, draw and interpret graphs. Performs arithmetic calculations at the level necessary for satisfactory job performance.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Ability to effectively present information in one‐on‐one and small group situations to staff, parents, students, administrators and the public.
Ability to independently problem solve unique student and employer situations. Ability to understand and carry out detailed written and oral instructions.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of office procedures and practices, including filing systems, receptionist and telephone techniques, letter and report writing, and sound bookkeeping procedures; English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation; ability to operate common office machines. Ability to interpret and apply pertinent school district procedures, policies, laws, rules and regulations, and to apply them with good judgment in a variety of situations. Proficient in use of word processing, spreadsheets, and database management software. Meets the public tactfully and courteously and answer questions correctly; compile and maintain accurate records and files. Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work. Ability to use a computer and job‐related software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee will occasionally lift and/or push up to 40 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.