Worker, Grounds Crew
The jobholder performs a variety of essential grounds maintenance activities at all GTCC campus locations providing a safe, attractive, and functional site for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
• Assist other skilled landscapers and grounds workers in day to day tasks including but not limited to mowing, trimming, edging, blowing, pruning, fertilizing, pesticide application, aerating, seeding, planting, bed preparation, trash pickup, trash can changing, and all other duties deemed necessary by Grounds Manager.
• Operate all assigned equipment properly and safely, reporting any mechanical problems or breakdowns to the supervisor immediately. Perform preventive maintenance and minor repairs on departmental equipment and tools as prescribed.
• Complete or assist in the completion in all assigned work orders or service requests.
• Notify Grounds Manager or Senior Groundskeeper of issues affecting the aesthetics or functionality of all GTCC campuses.
• Work under supervision of Grounds Manager or Senior Groundskeeper as assigned.
• Adhere to established work schedule
Complete assignments in a safe and timely manner.
• Attend any professional development days, seminars, lectures, field days, or training to enhance his/her ability to perform ongoing duties.
• Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork
• Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Completing grounds tasks independently
• Daily: Grounds Manager and Senior Grounds Worker regarding job status updates, operational problems, safety issues
• High school diploma, GED certificate or similar demonstration of basic academic skills.
• Possess NC Pesticide Applicator License or ability to obtain one within nine months of employment.
• Diploma or Associate Degree in Turfgrass Management, Landscape Architecture, Horticulture, or related field from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution.
• 3 years grounds maintenance including mowing, trimming, edging, blowing, pruning, mulching, turf care, landscape installation, grounds equipment operation etc.
• Knowledge of grounds maintenance practices.
• Knowledge of grounds equipment operation, care, and maintenance.
• Skill in the operation of trucks, vans, and powered equipment.
• Ability to learn the care requirements of campus lawns, plants, and trees.
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, staff, supervisors, students, and the general public.
• Ability to lift and carry heavy bulky objects up to 70 pounds.
• Ability to walk, kneel, stoop, and crawl.
• Ability to work at times other than scheduled hours, on call when necessary.
• Ability to work in inclement weather, i.e. snow and ice removal, storm damage, etc.
• Ability to take directions, follow instructions, and independently accomplish tasks with minimum supervision.
• Valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.
The following (compliance) training is required and must be completed within the first 30 days of hire with annual refresher training thereafter:
• Safety/Shooter on Campus
• Personal Information Protection Training (PIP)
• Anti-Discrimination/Harassment & Title IX
• Emergency Action Plans
• First Aid
• Noise and Hearing Conservation
• Forklift Operation and Safety
• Crane/Hoist Safety
• Personal Protection Equipment
• Other training may be required as determined applicable.
Physical Activity: Long periods of standing and or walking
Environmental Hazard(s): 30-70%