Chef, Madonna Manor
The Chef is responsible for providing food service and dining for residents and customers in compliance with state and federal regulations. The Chef will perform overall department supervision as required and will daily directly supervise the Cooks, Culinary Technicians, Culinary Support staff, and Dining Attendants. This position requires overseeing or performing the cooking of all foods and may require preparing special meals for events and catering.
Reports to: Executive Chef
Essential Job Specific Duties/Responsibilities
1. Oversees the overall performance of the Food Service Department.
a. Supervises all food preparation.
b. Follows up on complaints by employees, residents, and customers.
2. Assumes responsibility for appearance, quality, quantity, temperature, palatability, and proper portion control of food items.
a. Trains cooks, servers, and salad prep staff on proper procedures and tools.
b. Monitors taking of food temperatures before, during, and after each meal.
c. Ensures food being delivered is packaged properly, and meets proper temperatures.
d. Continuously trains staff on new ways to present food.
e. Taste tests the food before it is served to the residents.
3. Coordinates, supervises, and directs activities of personnel.
a. Directs activities of personnel to ensure the service is efficient and courteous.
b. Directly supervises Cooks, Culinary Technicians, Culinary Support staff, and Dining Attendants.
c. Completes evaluations for employees.
4. Supervises cooks to ensure recipes are followed.
a. Creates bi-weekly work schedule for cooks.
b. Prepares daily assignment sheet for the cooks in the kitchen.
c. Maintains a daily cleaning list for the cooks.
d. Assigns cleaning duties to the cooks on a daily basis.
e. Monitors kitchen area and dining rooms to ensure proper service.
f. Ensures kitchen operation is orderly and fill in where and when needed.
5. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide appropriate service to residents of all ages. Necessary knowledge and skills include principles of growth and development to facilitate the identification of each resident’s requirements relative to their age and specific needs.
6. Develops and executes menu for the assigned area(s).
a. Creates and produces daily soups, and develops new soup recipes quarterly.
b. Creates new sandwich offerings.
c. Performs display cooking monthly in dining room.
d. Coordinates meal preparation.
e. Ensures Serve Safe Guidelines are followed.
7. Coordinates meal plan with the Executive Chef, Dietitian, and Dietary Technician.
a. Develops work schedules and directs activities of cooks to ensure service is efficient and courteous.
b. Ensures meals are cooked within proper guidelines and times.
c. Ensures serving line is set up at proper times and cooks are assigned serving and back up responsibility.
d. Ensures garnishes are used with each meal.
e. Ensures cooks receive customer service training annually.
8. Coordinates with the staff, Executive Chef, Dietitian, and nursing for production sheets, menu changes, and new products. Maintains appropriate records of food production, including production schedules and menu utilization.
a. Checks hot and cold food production sheets daily to ensure correct foods are being served.
b. Attends monthly Resident Council meetings to hear and correct resident concerns.
c. Maintains accurate production and spreadsheets with the dietitian.
d. Coordinates all menu changes with cooks, staff, and management.
9. Demonstrates willingness to be a team player, utilizing problem-solving skills with customers and staff.
a. Works closely with supervision and support department goals.
b. Promotes positive work ethic.
c. Participates in interviewing, hiring, and development of new employees.
10. Satisfies all educational in-service requirements mandated by CHI Living Communities, the department, external accrediting, and regulatory agencies.
a. Attends all mandatory in-service programs.
b. Adheres to facility policies and procedures.
c. Completes yearly online education program by deadline.
d. Attends employee meetings on a regular basis.
In addition to the essential job specific duties listed above, the Chef shall be required to perform all duties (essential and non-essential) in a manner consistent with the mission and values (compassion, excellence, inclusion, integrity, collaboration) of CHI Living Communities and will be evaluated on such basis. Furthermore, every employee must abide by all campus, departmental, and safety policies, rules, and regulations.
CHI Living Communities has the right to change the job specific duties and specifications required for the position of Chef from time to time without prior notice.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent with some college preferred. Trained as a chef or in the culinary arts and Serve Safe Certified.
Experience: Restaurant or Health Care experience preferred.
Attendance: Regular attendance is an essential part of this job.